Suggested By-laws of The Cycling Club
Article I – NAME AND MISSION
This organization shall be known as “The Cycling Club” herein called the Club.
The Cycling Club mission is to create a healthy, cyclist and family friendly environment with a focus on education, training, safety, advocacy, and fellowship in order to make New Albany Ohio one of the best biking communities in the United States.
Article II – AIMS
A. The Club will strive to increase the knowledge, pleasure, and participation in the sport of bicycling by providing regularly scheduled events.
B. The Club will strive to promote and encourage interest in bike safety, and actively encourage the planning and development of safe biking facilities.
C. The Club will be a partner with Healthy New Albany’
Article III – MEMBERSHIP
A. Anyone who owns or rides a bicycle or who is interested in promoting bicycling is eligible for membership.
B. For membership purposes, a “family” is defined as one or two adults and children living at the same address.
C. Members have the responsibility to ride safely, behave in a mannerly fashion, and participate in as many bicycling activities as they feel capable of undertaking.
D. Members under age eighteen (18) are required to have parental permission to join the Club and participate in rides.
Article IV -DUES
Club dues will be established for Individual and Family memberships as determined by the Executive Committee. Dues are to be paid before membership in the Club is established.
Article V – MEETINGS
Regular business meetings will be held each month. All official Club business will be conducted at these meetings. During the summer months, business meetings may be called as necessary by the Club President. Official Club business is that which involves Club policy or significant expenditures of club monies. In addition, Club members may bring up issues to be discussed at regular meetings.
Article VI – ORDER OF BUSINESS
A. To the extent practicable, meetings will be conducted using Roberts’ Rules of Order
B. The order of business at regular meetings shall be:
1. Attendance Sign-in
2. Reading of minutes of the previous meeting
3. Treasurer’s Report
4. Vice-President’s Report
5. Committee Reports
6. Old Business
7. New Business
Article VII – QUORUM
A quorum of members for the purpose of conducting official Club business shall consist of ten (10) members who are eligible to vote (those members over 18) of which not less than four (4) are officers. Once a quorum is established, action on any issue must be by vote of more than fifty percent (50%) of those attending the meeting.
Article VIII – OFFICERS
Officers must be eighteen (18) or older and have been a Club member for twelve (12) consecutive months. The following officers shall be elected by the membership:
B. Each elected officer is charged with these specific duties:
- Call for, set the agenda, and preside over Club meetings.
- Insure that all officers carry out their duties.
- Appoint Chairpersons of all standing committees other than the Ride Committee, Advocacy and Education Committee.
- Arrange for all club meetings as required.
- Assist the President as requested and delegated.
- Perform duties of the president in his/her absence.
- Act as committee coordinator to insure that the various committees carry out their duties and responsibilities.
- Record and maintain minutes of business conducted at each membership meeting.
- Perform necessary correspondence duties required by the President.
- Preside over meetings in the absence of both the President and Vice-President.
- Be responsible for keeping funds and perform bookkeeping tasks.
- Receive dues and keep proper record of them.
- Pay bills as received.
- Maintain and report on monthly financial statements.
- Prepare a proposed budget for the year.
- Keep an inventory of club property and location.
Article IX – ELECTIONS
Elections of Club officers shall be held in October.
- A Nominating Committee composed of the officers and two members selected by the President will present a slate of candidates to the membership at the September meeting. Nominations will also be taken from the floor at the time of the September and October meetings.
- Voting members of the Club must be eighteen (18) or older.
- Officers’ terms begin at the close of the October meeting at which they are elected.
- Offices made vacant before the end of an officers’ term shall be filled by appointment by the President with the approval of the Executive Committee.
- Officers are limited to two consecutive terms in a single office except for the Ride Director and Advocacy and Education Director who may continue to serve as long as elected by the membership of the club each year.
Article X – STANDING COMMITTEES
The following will be considered Standing Committees for the Club:
- Ride Committee
- Membership Committee
- Technology Committee
- Fundraiser Exploratory Committee
- The Chairperson of each committee will be appointed by the president and will work directly with the Vice-President to carry out their duties and responsibilities. Chairpersons will recruit committee members as needed.
Article XI –EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
The Executive Committee will consist of officers and the chairpersons of each standing committee.
Article XI – INDEMINIFICATION
The Club shall indemnify and hold harmless each of its officers, directors, coordinators, executive committee members, and volunteers against all liabilities, claims, and losses to person or property arising out of the performance of their actions and duties in service to the Club.
This indemnification includes reasonable expenses actually and necessarily incurred (including attorney fees, costs, and judgments that may be assessed against them) by him/her in connection with the defense of any litigation to which the individual may have been a party because he/she is or was an officer, director, coordinator, executive committee member or volunteer of the Club.
Article XII – AMENDMENTS
Amendments to this constitution may be proposed by any member and may be incorporated into this constitution by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the voting membership present at the regular monthly meeting. Amendments must be introduced or read at a regular meeting and voted upon at the following regular meeting.
Date: February 2, 2013